When you talk about some of the classic foods that we have now this might not be on your list. Many people aren’t super fans of veggies most especially cabbage. But this vegetable comes with a lot of nutrients. And it would be a good option to opt for if you need a good vegetable. This is one cruciferous vegetable that would be an option if you are trying to eat healthily. One thing that many people don’t know is that cabbage has a whole lot of uses that are not even related to its use as a food. One of the uses of cabbage is for breast. cabbage leaves have shown to be very effective for the breast. That’s why we will be looking at cabbage leaves for breast.
For some years now, people have concentrated on how effective cabbage leaves can be for the breast. And over the years, cabbage has shown some amazing benefits for breastfeeding mothers. Are just hearing this for the first time? Well, it’s not too late. Here we will look at how it is effective for the breast. Also, we will be looking at how you can use it for different conditions of the breast. Are you interested in finding out all these? Then you have to keep reading to find out more.
Cabbage Leaves for Breast
One good option to opt for when your breasts are painful or swollen is cabbage leaves. Many women use cabbage leaves for relieving any form of pain or discomfort that they feel in their breasts. The question though is that is it effective for this purpose?
The answer to that is actually yes. Some people use the leaves for drying out milk as well. Certain steps must be taken before you use the cabbage leaves. We will be looking at that later on.
This is a method that is not usual. But the good news is that it is effective. How does this whole thing even work?
Well, cabbage leaves help in absorbing fluid. So when there is excess fluid in the ducts in the breast the leaves would help in absorbing it. And this would lead to a reduction in the size of the breast and also reducing the pain.
For many people that opt for this method, changes are usually seen within 12 hours.
You will need:
- Head of a cabbage
- A freezer or refrigerator
- Loose-fitting bra
- Cloths to wash your breast just before breastfeeding
Once you have all these then what’s next? Well, let’s find out below.
What to Do
Make sure that the leaves are cold. It provides that soothing feeling. Let’s now take a look at how you can use it to reduce any form of pain.
- The first thing is to place the cabbage in a fridge. This is to ensure that the cabbage would be cold when needed. For this, you can choose green cabbage or red type. But preferably go with the green type because the red one could stain your bra.
- After it’s been in the fridge for a while then get it and peel off the back layers. Then go for two inner leaves. Once you get what you need place the rest back in the fridge so that when you need it again you still have some left.
- Now rinse the two inner leaves that you got with cold water. Make sure it’s totally clean and free from any form of residue and dirt. This is to ensure that you are not getting any dirt on your breast.
- The next step is patting the already washed leaves with a dry cloth. The purpose of the dry cloth is to remove the excess water.
- After that, you have to make a slit in between the leaf. Make sure that the slit is not down. Just make sure the slit is bit enough without cutting the leaf into two. With this, your breast would be able to fit in well into the cabbage and the nipple would not be covered.
- Once you have the cabbage leaf in place you can use your bra as a form of support. This would help the leaf stay in place for a long time. If you think there would be a problem with leakage, then you can use a breast pad that would absorb it all.
- You can leave the cabbage leaf on your breast for about 20 minutes. After that, you can get rid of the wilted one and use another fresh one. You can do this for as long you want till you have some sense of relief.
- As mentioned before, the changes are not immediate. It would take about 12 hours or more before you see any massive change. So don’t be too much in haste to jump to the conclusion that this isn’t effective.
Things You Have Bear In Mind
- You don’t have to do this on both breasts. If it’s one breast that is affected, then that’s the only breast you use this for.
- Longer hours of contact of the breast with the leaf does not mean that more fluid is being absorbed. That’s why after 20 mins you are expected to remove it or change it.
- To remove the smell of the cabbage leaf all you have to do is wash your breast. If you have a crack or a wound on the nipple then make sure you don’t wash with soap.
- This method is also a good one for people that want to stop breastfeeding. It helps with drying up breast milk.
- If there are any skin reactions or any other problems with use then you might want to contact a health professional.
Cabbage leaves for breast are indeed effective. If you are still contemplating on trying it out stop and act now. Trying it out of course isn’t harmful. So even if it doesn’t work out as planned you can try something else. But you can be sure that you would get the result you need with cabbage leaves.