There was a time when couples with fertility problems faced limited options. This reality was as frustrating as it was discouraging that many just decided to give up. That has definitely changed. With continuous research and refinement of in vitro fertilization (IVF), couples are now given a viable path towards bearing their own child. Read on for more facts on IVF including in vitro fertilization cost.
What In Vitro Fertilization
Before looking into the general range of in vitro fertilization cost, it is important to understand what IVF essentially is. This way, whatever the price tag that comes along with it can be properly justified.
Essentially, IVF is one of the numerous techniques out there that help couples who have difficulty in conceiving. It has become one of the most utilized ways to overcome fertility problems precisely because of its success rate. Later on, this article will also discuss the factors that will contribute to a successful IVF.
A lot of people are wary about IVF primarily because of the in vitro fertilization cost. However, if you look at the science that is behind it, you will have a better understanding of why the process is priced the way that it is.
- Sperm is taken from the man.
- An egg cell is taken from the woman’s ovaries.
- These two are fertilized under a close and strict watch in a designated laboratory.
- The product of this process is called an embryo. This is the name for the fertilized egg.
- It is then returned to the woman’s womb through inoculation.
- The woman will then be subjected to close monitoring to ensure a higher rate of IVF success.
The good thing about IVF is it constantly studied and refined. With every breakthrough, IVF becomes more accessible even for regular folks. It is mostly recommended for women below forty years old who have not become pregnant after at least two years of unprotected sex. Another consideration is how many cycles of IVF that the body has been subjected to. The maximum number of IVF attempts is pegged at 12. IVF is also usually offered for women with a low number or quality of eggs in her ovaries. Finally, it is available for couples who are willing to take the risks involved in pursuing IVF as an option to have kids of their own.
To maximize every dollar that you will potentially raise to cover in vitro fertilization cost, you have to make sure that you do it right. Here are some of the success factors that you should keep in mind when deciding to invest in IVF or not.
- Age. The younger a woman is, the higher the success of IVF. This is because as a woman grows older, she produces a lesser number and quality of eggs.
- Lifestyle habits. If you want to be successful with IVF, you have to do a 180. This includes saying goodbye to alcohol and cigarettes throughout the entire IVF cycle.
- Health. The woman might have several pre-existing conditions that stop them from getting pregnant. The same might also mar the success of IVF. Consult your doctor immediately.
- Attitude. IVF can easily test your patience and perseverance.
The key takeaway here is that age is the only factor that people are not in control of. You can still work on your lifestyle habits, health, and attitude to help boost the chance of a loved one in a quest to bear her own child.
Here is the success rate of your chosen hostel:
- 29% for women under 35
- 23.5% for men under 30
- 15% for women aged 38
- 9% for women aged 40 to 42
- 3% for women aged 43 to 44
Among the many side effects, the two :
- Hot flushes
- Multiple births
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHS)
Make sure you consult with your doctor to see if IVF is applicable given your condition.
In Vitro Fertilization Cost
Average in vitro fertilization cost is around $12000. It should not cost more than $15000 and not lower than $10000. However, that is just one part of the narrative. For every succeeding cycle, for example, couples would have to spend $6955 per succeeding cycle.
Do not be quick to commit a fertility clinic. Take your time. Remember, this is a complicated process that should be handled by experts. More than the in vitro fertilization cost, look at quality and expertise.
Questions to Ask
To get an accurate quote of the total in vitro fertilization cost, make sure you ask for the following:
- Does the price include pre-IVF fertility testing and consultation?
- Do you have to pay for pre-IVF fertility testing and consultation if you already have resulted from the previous test from a different clinic?
- How much will a mock embryo transfer cost?
- Is the package inclusive of ultrasound monitoring, pregnancy testing, and blood work?
- Will it also include fertility drugs you are asked to take?
- Will it include cost of storage whether it be preserving extra embryos or providing a home for frozen ones?
- What are other possible expenses (technology, sperm extraction, assisted birth, etc.
A Cheaper Alternative
Here is an affordable way moving forward. Why not try IUI or intrauterine insemination? This costs about $5000 which is significantly lower as compared to the in vitro fertilization cost. The only problem here is the success rate. IVF still scores high when it comes to solving fertility concerns. This is the reason why most couples still prefer to break the bank with a procedure that has a bigger chance of succeeding despite a huge disparity at cost.
Going IVF has touted a miracle of sorts for many couples with fertility problems. Now, there is a higher chance that they can conceive their own baby thanks to scientific research and vast medical expertise. Now all you have to do is to find a good doctor and the best fertility clinic that suits you and your needs and figure out a summary of in vitro fertilization cost. If you can do all these, you can jumpstart the procedure.